Health officials are promoting the lowly Malunggay leaves as among the various vegetables (and fruits) to help boost the immune system (especially in time of the current health crisis).
The World Health Organization considers it as a low-cost health enhancer as it can be planted anywhere. Malunggay, scientifically known as Moringa oleifera, is dubbed as a miracle vegetable and nature’s medicine cabinet.
Malunggay is rich in Vitamins A, C, E, protein, iron, calcium, phosphorus, phytochemicals, and fiber which makes it a perfect aid in boosting one’s immune system.
Earlier, Health Secretary Francisco Duque recommended to public to add malunggay in their diet to have a stronger immune system.
â€œDrink fruit juices rich in Vitamin C. Put malunggay in your soup,â€ he said in an interview. Source: gmanetwork.com
Hereâ€™s some helpful information about the lowly yet phenomenal Malunggay:
- Malunggay leaves helps strengthens the immune system.
- Malunggay can help restores skin condition like acne treatment, controls blood pressure, relieves headaches and migraines.
- Malunggay tea can help strengthen the eye muscles.
- Malunggay tea can help heal inflammation of the joints and tendons.
- Malunggay tea can prevent intestinal worms.
- Malunggay can help increase semen count.
- Malunggay help normalize blood sugar level therefore preventing diabetes.
- Malunggay has anti-cancer compounds (phytochemicals) that help stop the growth of cancer cells.
- Malunggay helps relax and promotes good night sleep.
- Malunggay tea is used to treat fever and asthma.
- Malunggay help heals ulcers.
- Malunggay is high in calcium (four times the calcium in milk), therefore lactating mothers are advised to consume malunggay leaves to produce more milk for their babies. The young malunggay leaves are also boiled and taken as tea.
- Malunggay contains three times the potassium in bananas.
- Malunggay contain four times the vitamin A in carrots.
- An ounce of malunggay has the same Vitamin C content as seven oranges.
- Malunggay leaves contain two times the protein in milk.
- Malunggay seed is used to clean dirty or polluted water.
You can check my recipes with Malunggay ingredients from the links below: